As part of its regulatory functions as mandated by the Energy Commission Act, 1997 (Act 541),the Energy Commission has responsibility for matters relating to the development of regulations and codes for the electricity and natural gas supply industries in Ghana .
The Energy Commission among other things regulates the technical operations of service providers in the electricity and natural gas supply industries. The Commission performs these regulatory functions through elaboration and enforcement of technical rules.The Commission has developed the National Electricity Grid Code as part of its regulatory functions.
In addition to the development of the National Electricity Grid Code,the Commission is developing an electricity distribution code.
The purpose of the Distribution Code is to ensure that the distribution network provides fair, transparent, nondiscriminatory, safe, reliable, secure and cost efficient delivery of electrical energy.
List of LI's for Energy Efficiency
List of LI's for Electricity Regulations
- Electricity Transmission(Technical,Operational and Standards of Performance) Rules,2008(LI 1934)
- Electricity Supply and Distribution (Standards of Performance) Regulations, 2008(LI 1935)
- Electricity Regulations,2008(LI 1937)
- Electricity Supply and Distribution (Technical and Operational), 2005(LI 1816)
- Electrical Wiring Regulations 2011 (L.I.2008)
List of LI's for Natural Gas Regulations
- Natural Gas Distribution And Sale( Technical And Operational) Rules, 2007(LI 1911)
- Natural Gas Distribution And Sale (Standard of Performance) Regulations, 2007(LI 1912)
- Natural Gas Transmission Utility( Technical And Operational) Rules, 2007(LI 1913)
- Natural Gas Transmission Utility (Standards of Performance) Regulations, 2008(LI 1936)
Renewable Energy Grid Sub-Codes
Renewable Energy Sub-Code for Transmission and Distribution Networks.
The two Renewable Energy Sub-Codes propose minimum technical connection and performance requirements that a Variable Renewable Power Plant (VRPP) needs to comply with in order to connect its generating facility to the National Interconnected Transmission System (NITS) or a Distribution Network in Ghana, and defines rules and standards to guide the network operators when connecting a VRPP to its Network.
Net Metering Sub-Code for connecting Renewable Energy Generating Systems to the Distribution System..
The Net Metering Sub-Code for connecting Renewable Energy Generating Systems to the Distribution System provides for guidelines and technical connection conditions for the inter-connection of renewable energy generating facility to the low voltage distribution system under the net metering scheme.