SUNREF GHANAIn Ghana, energy is costly and energy security is a major concern. Increasing the development of green energies and technologies is a key condition to a sustainable economic growth. SUNREF is designed to help businesses and households in Ghana to seize the opportunities of the ecological transition.
This innovative program is part of a worldwide initiative developed by AFD to mobilise public and private banks to finance private sector investments involving green technologies and sustainable energy. In addition, the EU is supporting the Programme by financing the technical assistance component, as well as providing an investment grant to eligible projects.
Together with local partner banks Calbank and GCB Bank, SUNREF Ghana is offering businesses, organisations and households an opportunity to access financing for sustainable energy projects, and assistance in structuring green investments.
The aim of SUNREF Ghana is to facilitate access to afforable sustainable energy and allow companies and houeseholds to acquire higher quality equipment, make cost savings and become more competitive by managing energy more efficiently while respecting the environment.
- Develop and consolidate a financing market fir Green investments (energy efficiency, renewable energies, environmental services)
- Improve energy security
- Develop a viable market in sustainable energy and environmental services
- Support the development of eligible, innovative and profitable green projects.
- Increase competitiveness of business, especially MSEs, by reducing their energy bill.
- Facilitate access to "green" financing for companies and individuals.
- Strengthen the capacity of local stakeholders (companies, business associations, sustainable energy agencies, ministries, partner banks, etc.)
The SUNREF Ghana Programme
- A loan with very compel the loan facility on competitive terms
- A grant of up to 10%
- Free technical assistance for project implementation
Priority sectors for the SUNREF Ghana Programme include:
- Manufacturing & Processing
- Commercial Properties
- Retail (Supermarkets)
- Healthcare (Private Hospitals)
The local partner banks will guide you to make the right investment decision, and provide support for the development of viable, innovative and profitable green projects.
SUNREF Ghana - Criteria and Eligibility
- Financial Indicators
- Maximum investment cost: $8 million
Technical Indicators - Types of reliable renewable energy projects
- Thermal photovoltaic solar system
- Solar photovoltaic systems
- Wind turbines
- Conversion of large quantities of waste into biomass and biomass combustion systems for heat and / or power generation
- Heat and / or electricity generating system by use of a biogas source
- Installation of solar water heatersSmall-scale hydro power plantsGeothermal power production facilities
Technical Indicators - Types of eligible energy efficiency projects
- Replacement or upgrading of energy-intensive equipment
- On-site cogeneration of heat and electricity or tri-generation (heat, refrigeration, electricity)
- Replacement of boilers (higher quality control systems, energy saving systems, etc.)
- Installation of a heat recovery unitEfficiency retrofit of buildings (thermal insulation, windows replacement, etc.)
- Upgrading of existing ventilation / air conditioning systems
- Implementation of energy management systems or building management systems
- Replacement of
- Modernisation of the lighting system
- Other types of projects leading to lower energy use in households or industrial/ business processes
Other Types of eligible energy efficiency projects
- Pollution abatement projects
- Water efficiency projects
- Waste management projects
- For more information on how to access financing for green projects, contact your Relationship Manager at Calbank and GCB Bank