The Energy Commission wishes to inform all importers, wholesalers, distributors, retailers and installers of Renewable Energy Products, as well as the general public that in accordance with the provisions of the Renewable Energy Act 2011, Act (832), it is an offense to engage in a commercial activity in the renewable energy industry without a licence issued by the Energy Commission.
Section 8 (1) of Act 832 defines commercial activities to include:
- Production and supply of electricity from renewable energy sources,
- Production of biofuel, briquettes, pellets, firewood and charcoal;
- Bulk transportation of biofuel, firewood and charcoal;
- Bulk storage of renewable energy products including biofuel, firewood and charcoal;
- Distribution, sale and marketing of renewable energy products;
- Exportation and re-exportation of renewable energy products;
- Importation of renewable energy products; and
- Installation and maintenance of renewable energy facilities (solar, wind, biogas, biofuel and mini or small hydro). It has come to the attention of the Energy
Commission that a number of companies in the country are operating in the renewable energy industry without a licence from the Energy Commission. The general public is hereby advised to ensure that they only deal with licenced persons when purchasing renewable energy services or products.
Section 8 (4) of Act 832 specifies that a person who engages in a commercial activity in the renewable energy industry, without a licence issued by the Energy Commission as provided under the Act commits an offence and is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding Two Thousand penalty units or a term of imprisonment not exceeding Five years or both.
In the light of the above, Energy Commission wishes to inform all renewable energy service providers who engage in any of the commercial activities listed above to obtain the required licence from the Commission through an application to:
The Executive Secretary,
PMB, Ministries Post Office, Accra.
Tel.: +233 302 813 756, Fax: +233 302 813 764
The Licence Manual for the Renewable Energy Industry which spells out the procedure, requirement and general guidelines for the acquisition of a licence can be downloaded from the Commission’s website, www.energycom.gov.gh or obtained from the Energy Commission office located Ghana Airways Avenue, Airport Residential Area (behind Alliance Francise).